Godolphin Stud and Stable Staff Awards
The 18 finalists for the 2019 Godolphin Stud and Stable Staff Awards have been announced.
Having narrowed down the 202 applications to a shortlist of ten finalists in each of the six categories in December, the judges have now made their final selection of three finalists for each award.
The final stage of judging will now take place in London on the day of the awards ceremony, Monday 18 February 2019, where finalists will be interviewed face-to-face by the judges who will then decide the winners and runners-up.
The results will be revealed later that evening at the awards ceremony at the Jumeirah Carlton Towers hotel in Knightsbridge. It has also been confirmed today that the 2019 awards will be hosted for the first time by ITV Racing’s Oli Bell.
Bell, who also presents ITV’s The Opening Show which recently featured a discussion on stable staff, said:
“Throughout my life and role at ITV Racing I am constantly reminded of the importance of the stud and stable staff, and without them the industry wouldn’t survive, and it is a real honour to be presenting these prestigious awards.
“Some of the stories from the previous finalists and winners have been incredibly moving and I am sure this year will also provide some amazing stories and demonstrate the dedication and excellent care that British racing’s workforce provides its racehorses”.
The 2019 finalists and their nominators are:
David Nicholson Newcomer Award
- Sophy Scott – Mark Johnston, Middleham, North Yorkshire
- April Clarke – Jedd O’Keeffe, Leyburn, North Yorkshire
- Max McLoughlin – Cheveley Park Stud, Newmarket, Suffolk
- Dan Horsford – Alan King, Marlborough, Wiltshire
- Catriona Bissett – Nick Alexander, Leslie, Fife
- Barry O’Dowd – John Gosden, Newmarket, Suffolk
- Sean Graham – Philip Hobbs, Minehead, Somerset
- Stewart Gossnell – Richard Hughes, Lambourn, Berkshire
- Ian Clarkson – Micky Hammond, Middleham, North Yorkshire
Stud Staff Award
- Andrew Snell – Cheveley Park Stud, Newmarket, Suffolk
- Christine Chapman – Theakston Stud, Bedale, North Yorkshire
- Kevin Tobin – New England Stud, Newmarket, Suffolk
Dedication to Racing Award
- John Bottomley – Ollie Pears, Malton, North Yorkshire
- David Macleod – James Ewart, Langholm, Dumfriesshire
- Jaimie Duff – Lucinda Russell, Kinross, Perthshire
Rory MacDonald Community Award
- Deborah Hay – Lingfield Park Racecourse, Surrey
- Andrea O’Keefe – Jedd O’Keeffe, Leyburn, North Yorkshire
- Sarah Montgomery – Musselburgh Racecourse, East Lothian
Visit their website for further updates.