Racing Staff Week set to kick off on June 29th
Racing Staff Week is a celebration of everyone working to make horseracing happen every day of the year.
Generating over 3.4 million hits of #RacingStaffWeek last year, Racing Welfare’s social media will once again track events throughout the week and is this year set to host a series of special films, shining a light on the individuals who work behind the scenes to keep racing moving.
Industry stakeholders planning initiatives include the Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association, Racehorse Owners Association and Careers in Racing, more details of which will be announced over the coming days.
Coordinated by Racing Welfare, Racing Staff Week seeks to shine a light on the contribution of all of racing’s people and to generate rewards during the week itself, as well as building a legacy of longer term initiatives that positively impact the lives of people working in the industry all year round.
This year, Racing Welfare will be focus on bringing to life the people behind the industry’s job roles. The charity will also be highlighting good practices that are going on in the industry already, using our channels to inform the racing public about these in greater detail.
Activities to look out for:
- This year will see all 41 of the racecourses hosting racing during the period 29th June – 6th July taking part, with on-course activities forming an integral part of the week.
- The flagship Racing Staff Week film will be shown at racecourses nationwide alongside racecard adverts and interviews with on-course presenters.
- Racing Welfare’s team of welfare officers will be visiting yards and racecourses across the country throughout the week.
- The Racehorse Owners Association (ROA) are sponsoring 30 yard barbecues, providing a branded BBQ pack alongside a £150 food voucher (increased from £100 in 2017/18), encouraging trainers to bring their owners and staff teams together in celebration of their teams.
- Careers in Racing are giving away 15 Golden Tickets, to be hidden around racing centres and racecourses and each of which contain a £100 high street voucher.
- The Thoroughbred Breeders’ Association are running a photo competition, with cash prizes of £350 to the winner of each category.
- Racing Welfare is holding social events for racing employees across the country throughout the week
- The Jockey Club and ARC are planning on-course initiatives across all of their courses, with independent racecourses also registering rewards and incentives for visiting racing staff on racedays throughout the week.
- Betfair Friday – Betfair’s sponsorship will be allocated solely to Friday 5th July this year, which will see the 5th annual charity raceday at Doncaster, featuring the 7f Clock Tower Cup. The charity race exclusively for stable staff and 12 riders are set to line up to take part on the day, mirrored by a 1m 4f sister race at Newton Abbot on the same day.
- Keep an eye out for other racing stakeholder media announcements which are planned to coincide with the week.
Racing Welfare will broadcast a call to action from 26-28th June and throughout RSW for everyone working in racing and breeding to post pictures of themselves using #WeAreRacing, tying in with the theme of the film. Equine Productions are producing a ‘day in the life’ series on behalf of Racing Welfare, comprised of one edition each day from 1st – 5th July. The series will be filmed in Newmarket and feature a person working in different parts of the industry each day. It will be filmed each morning and broadcast via Racing Welfare’s social channels later that afternoon.
- Let racing Welfare know if you have any celebrations planned within your organisation
- Post a picture of your racing team(s) at work using #WeAreRacing
Find out more and keep up to date: www.racingstaffweek.com @RacingWelfare