Victoria Pendleton, Vogue Williams and Rosie Tapner to race in Goodwood’s Magnolia Cup
The 2019 Magnolia Cup charity race at Goodwood Racecourse will feature a field of inspirational women from the worlds of business, sport, fashion, music, and media, who will set aside their day jobs to become jockeys for the occasion. Victoria Pendleton will return to race-riding in aid of the event’s charity beneficiary Wellbeing of Women and a member of Brixton-based Ebony Horse Club will be given the opportunity to take part for the first time.
Run at the Qatar Goodwood Festival on Ladies’ Day, August 1, the Magnolia Cup is now in its ninth year and has raised over £1.5 million for a number of charities since its inception. The race itself is run over five-and-a-half-furlongs down Goodwood’s straight in front of a capacity crowd of 25,000, and the riders will need nerves of steel, especially as most of those taking part had never set foot in a racing yard before their training started.
This year, the Magnolia Cup will support Wellbeing of Women, which is Britain’s leading charity funding pioneering medical research across the whole spectrum of women’s reproductive and gynaecological health. From ovarian cancer to endometriosis, premature birth, miscarriage and stillbirth, the charity is dedicated to finding new cures and treatments in order to help save the lives of women and ensure babies have the best possible start in life.
Janet Lindsay, CEO, Wellbeing of Women said:
“Wellbeing of Women is delighted to be the chosen charity partner for the 2019 Magnolia Cup. This prestigious charity race stands out in its continued support for women.
“Even in an era of #MeToo with a drive to improve diversification and gender pay gaps, women’s health research remains overlooked and underfunded, with many women suffering in silence.
“As women’s health affects the whole family, we are honoured that the Magnolia Cup has chosen to champion this important issue and would like to thank Goodwood and The Duke of Richmond for this wonderful opportunity.”
Fundraising takes place through race and horse sponsorship, as well as at the Regency Ball, a stunning Regency-themed banquet and party held at Goodwood House the evening after the Magnolia Cup.
This year’s riders are:
- Vogue Williams – Irish TV presenter, DJ and model
- Victoria Pendleton – London 2012 Olympic gold medal-winning cyclist
- Rosie Tapner – British fashion model and presenter
- Luisa Zissman – English retail entrepreneur and reality television personality
- Alexis Green – BBC weather presenter and journalist
- Valeria Holinger – Skikjöring Racer & Marketing Assistant and Race Department Assistant at Head Switzerland
- Georgia Connolly – Ambassador for the Victoria Racing Club
- Kitty Trice – Journalist at the Racing Post
- Rachael Gowland – Marketing Communications Manager at British European Breeders Fund
- Kate Grover – Executive Assistant, MW&L Capital Partners Limited
- Sophie Van Der Merwe – Professional event rider
- A member of Ebony Horse Club – Riding stables benefiting disadvantaged communities in inner city London
Find out more about Wellbeing of Women here.
Tickets and information about Glorious Goodwood can be found here.