British racing’s commitment to improving diversity and inclusion
Our vision is for racing to be a diverse and inclusive sport in which everyone has the opportunity to achieve their potential and where fans from all communities feel welcome.
British racing’s leading organisations have come together to improve diversity and inclusion across the sport under a unified “Industry Commitment” to ensure racing truly is a sport for everyone and to help the sport grow and thrive in the future.
British racing is proud to be one of few sports where all genders compete on equal terms. The Industry Commitment formalises the sport’s approach and commitment to diversity and inclusion, building on the extensive existing activity already taking place. Much of this is highlighted and celebrated through Racing Together which has showcased over 80 initiatives across the sport enabling the broadest range of people to participate, progress and achieve in horseracing.
The Industry Commitment follows the establishment of the Diversity in Racing Steering Group in 2017 and represents part of British racing’s Covid‐19 ‘Recovery Plan for British racing’, which includes putting in place foundations for a longer‐term sustainable recovery for the sport through engaging new and diverse audiences in all aspects of the racing industry.
Industry Commitment on diversity and inclusion
The Industry Commitment on Diversity and Inclusion was launched in 2021. Nine further racing organisations signed up to the Diversity and Inclusion Industry Commitment in 2022.
The Industry Commitment has been undertaken by:
- British Horseracing Authority
- Racecourse Association
- National Association of Racing Staff
- National Trainers Federation
- Professional Jockeys Association
- Racehorse Owners Association
- Thoroughbred Breeders Association
- Great British Racing
- Arena Racing Company
- The Jockey Club
- The British Racing School
- The National Horseracing College
- The Scottish Racing Academy
- The Racing Foundation
- Racing Welfare
- The Pony Racing Authority
- Racing to School and Racing Together
- Injured Jockeys Fund
- Racing Digital
- Scottish Racing
- Take The Reins
Other organisations across British racing are encouraged to join this Industry Commitment and play their role in creating a truly diverse, inclusive and welcoming sport in the years ahead.
Industry Commitment Toolkit
You can read and download the Industry Commitment Toolkit below:
Industry Commitments and Plans
- Diversity in Racing Action Plan, published in July 2018, sets out ideas that can, and should, be addressed to promote greater inclusion across the sport, looking at participation, the workforce and racegoers. Read more.
- Diversity in Racing Annual Update 2019. Read more.
- Diversity in Racing Annual Update 2020. Read more.
- Industry Statement: no place for discrimination in racing, November 2020. Read more.
- Diversity in Racing Annual Update 2021. Read more.